Monday, July 5, 2010

Summertime in the city...

Summertime is here!

Perfect time to clean out your closets! Get rid of everything that doesn't fit and doesn't look great on you now!  If you haven't worn it in over a year... chances are you won't wear it again.
 I have a policy... if I buy something new I must get rid of something old. I love this policy. It allows space for the new items and clears things that I have been holding on to for various reasons... will fit someday, I loved this outfit (but haven't worn it in years) and sentimental reasons... wedding (obvious keeper), prom 1993 (toss.. never coming back),  first date with my husband.. but doesn't zip.. maybe.. someday...ummmm should probably donate... you get the picture. Clothes need room to breath, so let them! Get nice hangers from Ikea, they're cheap and they hold the shape of your clothes better. No, you can't use the dry-cleaner hangers!! NO WIRE HANGERS!!!

This rule also applies to linen closets and bathroom cupboards. Empty them out from top to bottom and sort through each item one by one; you'll be amazed at what you find. I once found a beautiful crystal vase, buried in the back of my towels?

You will find this process extremely cathartic, but don't overwhelm yourself, tackle one closet or cupboard per week. Once you clean everything out you'll feel at least 10lbs. lighter AND everything in your closet will fit!

No comments:

Post a Comment